FDR flowers

FDR flowers

Friday, September 10, 2010

Experience Is What You Get When You Do Not Get What You Want

I am facing my first real struggles with being away from home right now. I am feeling so much sadness right now and it is so hard to go through without being in Colorado.

I mentioned the fire in Boulder in my last entry, which has destroyed 169 homes, last I heard. Imagining what all these people are experiencing, who have lost their homes, and they live so close to where I have lived for the last 12 years. I feel like they are my neighbors and I know there is so much going on to help each and every one of them and I just wish I could be there to help. Although I don't know that there is much that can be done, or at least much that I could do, I just feel like it's my job to help them and I'm not there.

Then I think of my dear Lisa. Who sent her husband off to fight this massive fire - only his second real on the job experience - and was so scared to see him go. Thankfully he is an optimistic firefighter, ready and willing to get out there to do what he can, and I think the fact that he makes it home to sleep for 8 hours a night before he gets back out on the job has calmed Lisa down a bit. But then a tragic accident occurred on Wednesday night and Lisa's sister-in-law lost her little sister.

I went to high school with Lisa, her sister-in-law, Ashlie, and Ashlie's little sister. Lisa, Ashlie and I were all in the same grade and knew each other. I never actually met Ashlie's sister, but of course knew who she was and saw her around all the time. To hear of someone you know, loosing a sibling in such a horrible way can really shake you to the bone. It reminds a person of what is important in life. (I think that the fire and the death coinciding has pushed me further into the feeling of wanting to do whatever I can to help those people around me).

Lisa being the strong, caring person she is, is of course spending time with Ashlie and doing her best to be Ashlie's support. Ashlie's husband is on his way from from Afghanistan, but won't be making it back to CO for some time still because he has to stop in Arizona to be debriefed. So Ashlie needs all the additional help and support around her that she can get. I am so proud of Lisa and I just wish I could be there to support HER as she goes through all of this.

Ashlie's sister had two sons, Jaiden and Trystain. I believe they're 4 years old and 20 months old. I told Ashlie that I would donate money to the Educational Fund set up for the two boys and I'm going to post the information for the fund in case anyone reading this would like to help out as well.

Jaiden & Trystian Treasure Educational Fund
Great Western Bank
811 S Public Rd.
Lafayette, CO
303-666-0777

Again, I just feel overwhelmed with pain and sadness for all of the loss going on right now. It does make it difficult to be away from home, but I figure this is a growing experience for me. I am thankful that everyone in my family is safe and healthy. I just always need to remember to love and be thankful for those around me and remind myself on a daily basis how grateful I am for all that I have.

I LOVE YOU ALL!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love you. Thank you. I know Ashlie has said how grateful she is of your kindness, too. =)