Would you like to know what is odd about moving to a new state? All the everyday things that you grow so accustomed to without even realizing it. For example:
People talk about their state ALL THE TIME.
I feel like all I've heard since I moved here is people talking about Minnesota. Which I guess makes sense, because I'm in Minnesota. But it becomes pretty easy to forget I'm in MN when I'm just going about my day. Clearly I'm in a new area, but it's very easy for me to forget I'm not in Colorado and I think I just assume (without realizing it) that I'm in a new place in Colorado. But then someone begins talking about Minnesota and it's like "Oh yeah!". And that really happens surprisingly often. When I think back on it though, it was the same way in Colorado.
Unfortunately for people around me, I still talk about Colorado a ton. I'm trying not to because I feel like when I talk about Colorado I'm going to drive everybody crazy. Then I remind myself that I have different people I talk to in each of my classes and so it's not just one person I continue mentioning CO to, so that's a good thing.
It's hard not knowing ANYTHING about the area. I mean, I don't know surrounding cities, streets, restaurants, bus routes, none of that. Almost everyday I get someone asking me if I know where something is and it's my instinct to assume that I do know, I knew where a lot of things were in Colorado, so I'm used to being able to say yes. Until I realize (again) that I'm not in Colorado and I have NO IDEA where ANYTHING is.
Finally, I do miss the mountains. No one take offense to this, but I think so far the mountains are what I miss. I don't think I've been gone long enough or had enough time really getting into my life here to super-duper get to the point of missing people, I'm just too busy. But I've dreamt about the mountains and I've looked at the pictures of the fire in Boulder and that's what makes me feel homesick. My poor mountains are getting all burned up! If I'm homesick for anything, it's Colorado. Again people, don't take offense. I love you all dearly.
1 comment:
Colorado rocks my socks!
Post a Comment