FDR flowers

FDR flowers

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oh My Pancakes!

I absolutely LOVE pancakes. Growing up we had pancakes every Sunday. Sometimes it would be waffles or french toast, but most often it was pancakes. When I was a little girl I would pride myself on being able to eat as many pancakes as my dad and brother. Then it was always the greatest treat in the world to go to Wisconsin where my Uncle Mike would always make his scrumptious skinny pancakes! A few years ago my mom was given the most delicious pancake recipe from one of her friends called Colorado Pancakes, and my mom and I again started making pancakes fairly frequently because they were what we would call "healthy pancakes" (so they were okay to eat frequently). They are made with wheat flour, wheat germ, flax seed, corn meal, you get the idea. Healthy ingredients but SO YUMMY (although really probably not actually all that healthy).
Now I have ANOTHER new pancake recipe. And these ones are REALLY HEALTHY and still yummy! I was talking with my dad and I can't remember why on earth we were talking about pancakes but he told me he had a recipe I should try. Here it is:
Oatmeal Pancakes
6 egg whites
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup cottage cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 batch makes about 6-8 pancakes

That's it! I must admit I was skeptical. But I'm always up for trying anything that is healthy and supposedly yummy (I'm still pushing for people to try my spinach smoothie - if you haven't tried it you should! SO YUMMY AND SO GOOD FOR YOU!) and I think I've been pretty shocked each time I try something new because I always really like it.

So I made these pancakes and although it took a little while to figure out how to make them well, they really are yummy! They're different, that's for sure. They're pretty dense, you're eating oatmeal so it's not like the typical bread texture you're used to getting when you eat pancakes and the cinnamon aspect of them reminds me of french toast. They're kinda like french toast and pancakes combined. Are you sold yet? If not, you won't be, unless you walk into my house right now and smell the deliciousness, which no one is likely to do, unless you happen to be in Minnesota, which you likely aren't.

Here are my suggestions for making them. I've been able to experiment so you hopefully don't have to.
Cook them at 350 degrees
Let them cook on the first side for 4-5 minutes before flipping them - they can be messy if you try to flip them before they're ready!
Let them cook for another 3-4 minutes.
VOILA! And enjoy!


Oh, and PS they can supposedly be made as waffles, but I haven't tried it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have made your spinach smoothie tons and LOVE it! I'll give the pancakes a shot, too!