FDR flowers

FDR flowers

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Settling Into Our New Home

Oh my how things have been crazy. A little too crazy for my liking. Thankfully we're nearly completely unpacked now and will be able to just focus on school very shortly... well that is until I find someplace to work.

SO - as of Tuesday we will have already been in Minnesota for 3 weeks. That's hard for me to believe. I knew it would take a while for it to set in on me that I don't have my family around. I figured it would be around the time that I'd want to start showing off my new home. Well that time is here and I do feel a little sad that no one is here. But luckily I have taken pictures! Really the upstairs isn't much to see yet. It's just our front room and kitchen that are completed. The bedroom and study don't have much left to be done to them, but they're just messy and plain.


So here is our dining area. We bought the table, chairs and microwave cart all from Ikea! That is one serious store!
Here is a picture taken from our family room looking at our front door and the first landing on the staircase - so those of you who listened to me explain the way the stairs are set up, maybe this helps you understand it better.

These other two pictures are our living room from two different angels. Nothing too grand with our mixed furniture and it's a little tight, but I love it.

For now that's all you get to see I had one more picture of the kitchen but accidentally deleted it and I can't get blogger to let me upload it again so you'll just have to do without for now.

We are definitely staying in this place - at least until May and then we might try to get rid of it again. Some of you heard the story about us not being too fond of the area and wanting to get out of the lease right after moving in. We're living in the outskirts of Minneapolis, so it's kinda an icky part of the city. We don't really have anything around that's pretty or worth walking to. But it is very close to the Law school and it is a short bus ride for me to make it to my school (as long as I don't miss the bus or write down the wrong time - happened to me a couple times last week). We are having an ADT security system put in later this week which will make Jason feel better about the times when I have to be home alone and it'll make us both feel better about the place when we have to leave it all by it's lonesome.

We caught the mouse that was running around the first few days we were here and we haven't seen another one since. We have big ants running around the place but not too many of them - we see like 3-4 on a bad day, yesterday I didn't see any. We put out ant traps which will hopefully take care of that little situation. I had one crawling on me in bed the other night... TOTALLY freaked me out!

We've heard a lot about "Minnesota Nice" since we moved out here. Supposedly people are unbelievably nice in Minnesota. Unfortunately, again, we haven't experienced that quite yet. But we're also chalking that up to where we live and hope that next year in a new area we'll feel differently.

The best part for me so far about being here (aside from the fact that I get Jason to myself all the time :) has been my experience at school. Even getting to school is a good experience (again, if I actually MAKE the bus). The first great things about the bus is that I don't have to drive. Minnesota roads are craptacular! You HAVE to take a highway to get everywhere you want to go. The on ramps and off ramps are short and sparatic. There is construction going on everywhere and Minnesota drivers are INSANE!!! So having the opportunity to sit and relax on the bus is excellent. Plus, the bus drivers are extremely nice and helpful. Then once I'm at school, I have wonderful teachers! I mean seriously, very cool teachers. The classes will be a good amount of work, so I'm not referring to easy teachers - but fun, exciting, nice teachers who keep me engaged and paying attention to what is going on. It is AWESOME! And all the other staff in the school, the counselors, and all the other people who help you with all the different things you need help with - SO NICE! So I guess maybe I should consider that this is perhaps what "Minnesota Nice" is like. But I just really like my school so far - I wish more of the kids were outgoing and that I could say I've met some people, but that just hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it will though.

Alrighty, well it's time for me to peace out. It's been a long day and I'm going to go and enjoy all my hard work for the next hour before I go to bed. I have a webcam and I got accounts set up on Skype and MSN so if anyone wants that information just let me know.

Love you all! Xx

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Happy to hear your "nice" story! And I love the pics of your place! Looks great! :)