Really being in a different time zone than everyone else is probably the most challenging thing about being out here. Being one hour later than CO while we were in MN was do-able enough, but now being two hours later than CO and one hour later than MN is really obnoxious. I wake up at 8:30 and can't call my mom or sisters still for at least 2 1/2 hours! When we were in CA, that was the best time zone. It was awesome to wake up at 8:30 and realize it was 9:30 in CO. I could literally roll out of bed and call people immediately. And let's be honest, right now I don't have a whole lot going on, so when I can talk to people on the phone it really helps me get through the day.
We are still not completely unpacked. I have SO MUCH WALL SPACE and I have a bunch of pictures to put up and it's just really turned into this task that I don't want to worry about. I've reached that point of boredom where you lose motivation to do things. There are plenty of things that sound fine to do, but those really annoying tasks that I just don't want to take care of that I should probably be focusing the most on, those are the ones that I've got zero motivation to do. I miss my job a ton. I miss my co-workers and the babies. I've probably had work dreams 5 nights a week since getting here. It really was the closest thing I've ever had to an "ideal job." I still dream of opening my own center someday or at least running one that is already put together, but for where I am in life, my job was perfect for me. I find myself sitting in my apartment thinking about what I should be getting done and wishing I could just go to work, haha.
The baby's room is coming along finally, thanks to help from my mom who visited this past weekend. It feels good to have progress done there. I'm not entirely sure I'm actually going to post pictures of it - we'll see when it's done, but it's just not all too impressive. Lots of mismatched stuff and we still have some key elements missing. I didn't have either of my planned baby showers in MN so right now we're working on getting all of the final necessities together.
I did get to check out the hospital that I will be going to and really really loved it. It was a great tour and I didn't hear anything that would have made me think "Uh, maybe I should check out another hospital." I, being that crazy person that I am, always dreaming of the day I get to give birth, am so looking forward to trying for a natural birth, and it is a hospital that is very supportive of that. Nice big tubs with jets in the rooms, birthing balls, etc. Minimal monitoring machines (unless, obviously, it ends up being necessary) so I don't have to be plugged into anything. There aren't any restrictions about tub use if your water breaks first (again, aside from usual safety measures which I won't mention for those really not interested ;) Plus, I can dim the lights and play music or whatever - so yay!
I ended up picking a doula for the birth as well. Jason and I decided it would be a good idea for me to have at least one other person in the area I could call when things get started, since it's just the two of us. The first doula I met with I LOVED via email, but met in person and just really didn't connect. Then I was hesitant about meeting with another but did anyway and thank goodness because she is wonderful! Having my mom around would be better, but if she can't be here I think that Linda will be a great alternative. I also had my first appointment with my midwife group here and was very pleased with that appointment - so with luck, things can just go forward now.
Here are some pictures of some of what we've seen since moving here to Albany. It's really a very small area, but beautiful. Just a sea of trees all around. I can't wait for the leaves to really start changing colors. If I ever finish putting the apartment together then I'll post pictures, but for now it will remain a mystery for you.
![]() |
| Some of Albany |
![]() |
| The Egg |
![]() |
| Empire State Plaza |
![]() |
| Capitol Building |
![]() |
| View from the top of the stairs of the Capitol Building |
![]() |
| And us outside of the Capitol Building |






1 comment:
Your hospital sounds just like mine. I am soooo glad to hear it all is going well!!! I know that little Henry's birth will go well with a happy momma. :) Love you!!!!!!
Post a Comment