FDR flowers

FDR flowers

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baby!

We're going to have a baby!

I know you already know that, but I'm pretty darn excited about it still. I am 14 weeks along today. We found out that I am pregnant on Valentine's Day. Well, that's when I got my first positive test. It was still very early and it was so faint that we weren't convinced until a few days after. But it sounds a lot more exciting to say that we found out on Valentine's Day :o) 

We went in for our first ultrasound when I was about 7.5 weeks along and it was the most incredible experience ever. That first ultrasound was nerve wracking because I didn't know if everything was actually going to be okay. I've known so many people to go in and find out that they are having a miscarriage. So to see the baby (or as I call the pictures we have of it, the "blob") and to see the little heartbeat is just amazing. Then the ultrasound tech played the heartbeat for us and I was blown away. I was absolutely not expecting to be able to hear a heartbeat so early. It was an ideal time to go in and see that there was in fact a child growing because around 7 weeks was when morning sickness hit me. And it was definitely not just morning sickness. It was nausea from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. It lasted for 2 weeks and considering stories I've heard it was not bad at all. But I certainly didn't enjoy it.

**Update: When I was 11 weeks we went in again for my first meeting with my midwife. This time we heard the heart beat on the doppler and it was in the 170's. That's a high heart rate which would supposedly indicate a female baby. But I also used the Intelligender test which is a test you can take at home to find out your baby's gender as early as 10 weeks. The Intelligender said I'm having a boy. Chinese calendar says boy. The baking soda home test said girl. SO I'm definitely having either a boy or a girl :o)

Now I am officially in my second trimester and mostly feeling really great. I keep getting hit with a new cold every week for the past 4 weeks (a new one started today). I'm not sure what that's about. They wouldn't be so annoying if I were taking meds for them, but I'm pretty much taking nothing. I don't really want to take anything unless it's really necessary. Plus Tylenol is about all I can take and Tylenol just isn't very helpful. I think I would been feeling much more energetic if these colds would stop. And other than that I just feel a little "off" after eating. But it doesn't last for very long. Very manageable.

Jason keeps asking me when I'm going to start showing. I have no idea but I expect it'll start happening soon.  Jason has been amazing. He took over cleaning out the kitty litter (he did insist we get a bigger scooper). One day the cat even pooped on the floor and he cleaned it up. I suppose the cat is getting him ready for being a parent. Every week we read how big the baby is and it's always in comparison to some sort of food. Jason changes the name of the baby from week to week depending on this comparison. So this week the baby is "Lemon" and a couple months ago it was "Lentil". He enjoyed last week when the baby was compared to a medium shrimp because he said it would be the only time when we could call our kid a shrimp without it being an insult. We find out in about 5 weeks whether it's a boy or a girl - soon after that I'm sure we'll come up with the baby's actual name and then start calling it by its name. 

That's all for now. Jason graduates from Law School in about 3ish weeks - so I'll get some pictures and update again around then! I can't believe the Law School adventure is wrapping up. It has gone by so quickly. I had someone congratulate me recently for being married through the three years of law school and sticking with it. It sort of threw me off guard because I don't feel like it's been much of a challenge. Maybe because we were together through all of his undergrad? I don't know. He's just a hard worker, he's always been a hard worker, he'll always be a hard worker and that's just something I know about him. Plus, I'm an introvert, so when he's busy studying or doing whatever it is he needs to do, I love having time to myself to do what I like to do. Now I need to enjoy that more than ever because in about 6 months my alone time is going to be something of the past!!

Pictures of little Blueberry.


My cousin Kelly and me. We're both pregnant now and hoping we'll be able to recreate this picture before she has her little one in July!



2 comments:

Micah said...

Oh! Caitlin! I love being pregnant, & I think you will too. (Once your colds go away) thanks for the updates. This is so exciting!

Aunt Cara said...

I cannot wait until you find out if it's a boy or girl! Looking forward to seeing you soon!